Nobody doesn’t know that Penang is heaven of eateries.

I paid a visit to Penang in late May during the Wesak Day weekend with my girlfriend. The drive there took me a little bit more than three hours but the trip back to KL was an awful experience as it took me five hours because of the jam.
To make it worse, I was driving a manual transmission car.
However, that did not made my trip a miserable one – thanks to the awesome delicacies we’ve tried during our close-to-three-days stay there.
Ais kacang at the New World Park, Georgetown.

Was the first thing I ate after I’ve arrived Georgetown. It cost RM 2 and worth every cent I’ve paid.
Let’s see where else have we been.

Kek Lok Si temple. The buddhist temple on the hill at Air Hitam.

Revisited the temples that I’ve been to four years back when I came to visit Mok (aka Simon) who moved back to Penang earlier.

There were many visitors were came and were mesmerised by the complex yet beautiful architecture of the temples.

And some were holding their DSLR snapping their way in and out of Kek Lok Si.

While all I had was a Sony compact camera which belongs to Jim. The images were not bad at all, IMO.
Some animal statues that represent the 12 Chinese Zodiacs
It was Wesak Day during the day I arrived in Penang Island. Processions as mean of celebration took the streets that night with nicely decorated vehicles.
One of the most notable ones is this one.

Sitting Buddha. The decoration, the lights and the statue itself... Awesome isn’t it?
On the following day, we met up with Mok who then brought us to Batu Ferringhi where many hotels and expensive sky-scraping seaside apartments are built.
We went this very awesome hotel.

Hard Rock Hotel Penang.
Awesomeness. Awesomeness. Awesomeness.

Michael Jackson.
I met Andrina’s cousin, Ivan, who’s working there. He was too busy working so we didn’t chat much but it seems like he’s doing good there.

That’s me and Mok. Same ol’ Mok even after so many years. lol.
Speaking of food, these are foods you must try when you’re in Penang. Better yet, get a Penang friend or an experienced tour guide so that you won’t end up not eating the best stuff.

Air Hitam laksa near Kek Lok Si.

Three Ringgit each and it’s orgasmically delicious.

Told you so! :P
At night, we toured around and got to another eatery – the Gurney Drive.

Another lively place with tasty food.
This will surely make you drool unless you’ve chicken-phobia.

Fried chicken skin. Om nom nom nom..
Can’t believe that I’m actually drooling at the images as I write this post. LOL
Before heading back to KL, we dropped by Bukit Mertajam to meet Ah Kok who introduced even more foods to us.

Clockwise from top left: Taro rice (or is it Yam rice?) at Sentosa Corner restaurant, Chee Cheong Fun, the dried Hokkien mee, the Hokkien mee’s taukeh and his stall.
For those who haven’t already realised, what we call Prawn Mee in any other parts of the world is actually known as Hokkien Mee in Penang. So, when they say Hokkien Mee, please bear in mind that it’s not the thick noodle cooked in dark sauce.
This is the second spot he brought us to. Somewhere near the Jalan Pasar in Bukit Mertajam.

Clockwise from top left: the Hokkien Mee stall, Hokkien Mee (this time not dried one), Asam Laksa and Hokkien Mee and Ice Kacang, Asam Laksa.
It was one hell of a two-and-a-half-hour in Bukit Mertajam as we went several stops for really good food, but we’ve yet to try it all!
It’s definitely a place I’ll be back again for even more. I miss the New World Park Ice Kacang as well as the Air Hitam Asam Laksa a lot.
To wrap this up, lemmi show you a couple of images I took en route to KL that day.

OH LOOK! RAINBOW ON THE HIGHWAY!!
Err.. Not exactly though..

But it does look pretty isn’t it?
P.S. There were too many images to be shown so I opted to combine them into one image (like what you’ve seen above), do lemmi know if you like it. Thanx! =D
wow...eat all you can, right? i love going to penang too.. quite often in fact..
ReplyDeleteOnly if Penang is as near as Melaka from KL, then I'd be travelling more than once a year to the food heaven. :D
ReplyDeletetiuz...steven, u gonna bring me there and eat 99 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletei miss malaysia's food !!!!
I broke 9 9 d lor now, no money wanna go travel d hahaha
ReplyDelete