My blog has moved to an awesome new home!

You should be automatically redirected shortly. Please click here if the magic didn't happen.

Friday, 18 March 2011

Why The Slowness of Loading Facebook in Malaysia and How-to Speed It Up

The connection to Facebook.com has been getting slower and slower since the terrible disaster that battered Japan last week. According to TM the underwater cables have been affected by the earthquake, causing slow internet connection especially when connecting to sites hosted in the USA.

 wtfffffff

I was trying to fix the Sponsors page for Memoirs 2 FB Fan Page and the slow connection really got on my nerves. Thus, I googled a bit and found out there’s actually cure to the slow connection speed to Facebook.

All the miseries can be solved in five simple steps:

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
2. Open hosts file using Notepad
3. Add the following line: 203.106.85.66 www.facebook.com
4. Save it.
5. Enjoy Facebooking smoothly!

Note: If you doubt that the IP address above is safe, instead of [203.106.85.66], add the line 'static.ak.fbcdn.net www.facebook.com' into the hosts file and save it. [static.ak.fbcdn.net] is a Facebook CDN server, which simply means Facebook owns the server.

Disclaimer: I did not geniusly come out with the solutions above. It was discovered by HeHeHunter and I initially saw this from LiewCF’s tech blog. Lunix and Mac users can check out either of the blogs I’ve mentioned for details. According to HeHeHunter, the IP address [203.106.85.66] is actually Facebook Mobile’s local server. Therefore, it is safe.

Sources: LiewCF, HeHeHunter

No comments:

Post a Comment