My blog has moved to an awesome new home!

You should be automatically redirected shortly. Please click here if the magic didn't happen.

Thursday, 7 January 2010

What’s So Funny About Mydin?

“Mydin is a Malaysian chain supermarket. It is notable for bringing cheap and affordable items.”

The above quote was plagiarised from Mydin’s Wikipedia entry. For two weekends I was working as part time promoter for a Germany stationery company at Mydin USJ and throughout my six days of standing there, working, I noticed how things work there, and how customers shop there. I just can’t not share them with you.

1. In Mydin, everyday is like the sales day. People keeps swarming into the hypermarket to buy stuffs and no matter what they’re browsing for, they mess up no matter what. In clothing section in supermarkets, normally you see how those people search for their perfect size by creating a mess, especially during sales. Well, in the place I worked at, not only clothes but even papers, pens, pencils, colour pencils, and whatnot.

They’re total expert at messing up the products. Good thing is, you don’t even have to bother about rearranging your products because this moment you put them nicely on the shelves, it’ll be messed the next. Very often, it happens so fast that you can’t even have adequate time to snap a photo of the product display.

Next time when you go there, please be sure to mess things up even if you never intend to buy anything.

2. Most of the people think before they buy something, but have you heard about people who think bloody well before purchasing a product but have never think properly before selecting a product?

I do. There are people who bring the trolley everywhere they go in the hypermarket and take things that they feel like buying and end up what they do is that when they’re gonna pay at the counter, they put the things at any random places. Pay for everything else and bye-bye-bye.

"Oh, I think my niece will need some of these."
*grabs few boxes of 2B pencils and put them into the trolley*

When it’s time to pay... "Owai I think one is enough, or... my niece is too small to even hold a pen, leave alone writing. Hmm..."

*takes the pencils and put them somewhere else, probably beside the hotdogs at the frozen food section*

This is not a joke. It happens very often. Being the promoter, I feel those people are bloody cheapskate; being a consumer, I feel that it’s consumers’ right at its best. Just do it, people.

3. Mydin, if I’m not mistaken, owns the largest hypermarket trolleys in Malaysia. No wonder people love pushing them around, some push it as far as their home. During weekends or public holidays, there are always a lot of customers – so damn a lot that traffic not only jams on the way to Mydin but also inside Mydin itself!

And guess what worsens the jam inside the building?




Trolleys. Bloody largest in Malaysia trolleys. And who pushes the trolleys everywhere they go in the building? Yes, those morons. You know what’s worse? They push empty trolleys. I’ve seen some pushing trolleys with either nothing in it or with something like a pack of ball pen or probably a small box of colour pencil. Like, what the eff??

Some used trolley to transport their kids. Period.

4. With the advancement of technologies, cash registries are now equipped with barcode scanners (Like, DUHH???!) and with price checkers that are powered by barcode scanners, customers can easily check the prices of products being sold. It’s as easy as ABC! Just place the product with its barcode facing the scanner’s ‘eye’ and voila! You’ll have the latest price screened on the screen.

And if each curiosity kills one cat, many cats had lost their lives even if they can die for nine times.

Price checkers are like a toy for them. Not only kids love them, adults enjoy utilising them too. Whatever they’ve got in their hands, without or without proper price tags, whether or not they’re actually interested to purchase it, they scan and scan and scan.

It’s like test-driving a brand new car whenever you drop by, probably before and after work everyday.

Okay, I think that’s all for the lulz. There’s no #5. I’m not insulting those people but sometimes to see uncivilised people, hypermarkets like this can be a good spot to spot them.

On another note, I’ve been seriously thinking what to achieve in year 2010. It has been a week into this brand new year but still I’m being indecisive over my targets of the year.

Setting goals is good but sometimes, some goals are set so high up there’s not enough motivation to even grasp it, leave alone reaching it. However, I’m so gonna get a DSLR this year! This time I swear – big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment