I woke up in the morning to my mail inbox and saw twothree identical e-mails (just received third at time of writing) from the same sender: secure [at] maybank2u.com.my. I thought it really is from them until I’ve read the content of the mail.
This is the screenshot I’ve taken off the email I’ve received from Maybank2u.com.my as claimed.
“Dear valued customer,
Maybank security systems detected a serious (PR2) security problem in maybank server and Currently been updated. Your account must be updated for accept a new maybank interface. and will be stricted due to several invalid login attempts from an unauthorized third-party. Your immediate attention is required to Update your account. Please be informed that your account will be temporarily closed if not update now..”
At first, I actually fell for the e-mail address but as I read through the content and when I saw the link provided, I knew it’s a phishing mail. To phish means ‘to request confidential information over the Internet under false pretenses in order to fraudulently obtain credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal data’, according to TFD.com.
If it is from Maybank2u.com, it won’t have such crappy English, I’m sure, and the URL to update my Maybank account should be under Maybank2u.com - the actual domain name of the bank, instead of some nonsensical domain name. Also, I bet Maybank2u.com addresses their clients properly instead of just a plain ‘Dear valued customer’. It’s an email, not an announcement on their website after all.
Whatever it is, it is not a good thing. I clicked on the link and Google Chrome instantly stopped me from visiting the page because it has been blacklisted as a ‘phishing site’. Awesome job done there Chromey! lol.
Now I remember! My sister called me last week to ask me about this e-mail about Maybank account she received. Good thing I told her to ignore it. This serves as a friendly warning to you readers. So, if you’ve came across this type of e-mails, you should know what’s best to deal with it; if you haven’t, the next time when you do, always verify it by either sending an e-mail or giving a call to your bank, or maybe you can simply ignore it (unless if it’s real then it might affect your business).
But come on, let’s face it, update an account in order to accept new interface? You telling me my Google Chrome can’t handle HTML5, or what?! Stupid scammers.
No comments:
Post a Comment