My blog has moved to an awesome new home!

You should be automatically redirected shortly. Please click here if the magic didn't happen.

Tuesday, 10 March 2009

National Novice Debating Championship 2009 at UiTM Shah Alam

Small Talk: Just stumbled upon this site that has the Malaysian debate calendar ‘09. Special thanks to Professor (one of Voices Melaka family members) for the images.



Eight in the morning, four cars, eighteen people, and UiTM Shah Alam was where we went.

I took over the wheel from Alex at Seremban R&R and headed straight down to Shah Alam on Saturday morning. I slept for only two hours the night before but I didn’t feel sleepy until we were going into the third round of preliminary stage.

UiTM Shah Alam is a freaking huge place. Imagine that in MMU, we have a 5-storey building for a faculty, i.e. Faculty of Engineering; There in UiTM Shah Alam, they’ve got a goddamn 10-storey building (or even higher) for one course, i.e. a building for Faculty of Chemical Engineering.

Super huge. But throughout the two-day tournament, we just stayed at the twin tower (UiTM flers should know where I mean) because that was the venue for all the debates of the tournament.


Gee, Joseph, Stevavo

MMU Malacca sent four teams – MMUM 1-4. Mine was MMUM the third and in the team, I have Joseph as the first speaker, Gee as the second speaker and I was acting as the third speaker aka the whip. We didn’t win much — out of five preliminary rounds, we’ve won only one, if I’m not mistaken. We lost the others, not that our opponents won. Hehe.


Stevie, Alex (Voices Melaka current president), Gee

During the first day, we debated four rounds and it was pretty tiring since we woke up early in the morning, got to Shah Alam and straight away we started debating. The best thing about this tournament is that it was my very first debating tournament and I’ve learnt plenty from it. I’ve learnt that time management is very important because my rebuttals were always too long, in the first two rounds especially.

We stayed at an apartment near UiTM. It’s just behind the McDonald’s (beside Caltex) within Section 3, if I’m not mistaken. That night, we went to have dinner at McD when it was supper time and watched a bit of football match which Robbie Keane managed to save Tottenham’s arse.


Emax, Gee, Stevie

The next morning, it was the fifth round of the preliminary stage. Only MMUM 1 managed to break into the Octo-finals (a round before Quarter-finals) but sadly, they couldn’t make it to the quarter-finals after they lost to the team from Universiti Malaya, which I personally think that they didn’t deserve the win =\

Something bad happened that day. While the octo-finals debates were going on, my man Joseph took the Waja out to McDonald’s and it came back with a broken jaw. He apparently crashed into some road dividers and screwed the front bumper. Next thing was that we couldn’t find a workshop to repair it on that day (it was Sunday) so we went back to Malacca in a Waja without a front bumper.

And I was the driver. lol.

Anyway, we stayed and watched the rest of the debates until it was the final — UiTM Shah Alam vs. Monash University (Sunway). Monash University won it hence they won the championship and their first speaker (Leader of Opposition) was named the best speaker. His speech was marvellous. If you were there, you’d have been more impressed than I was. lol.

The grand final ended at around ten something at night and we went back to Malacca straight after filling up petrol. The highlight throughout the event was after we came out with our ‘DUDE!’ thingy during the debate, everyone seemed to be trying to be part of us by saying ‘DUDE!’ too. It’s like our slogan, our signature, our trademark =D


DUUUUDEEEZZZ!!

To sum it up, it was a long weekend, long in two ways — I had off days from Friday to Monday and it was two long days in UiTM Shah Alam. It felt as if the 48 hours passed super slow but honestly, I enjoyed every moment of it (except for that gastric pain I was having).

Next coming weekend will be the Gombak Open Intervarsity Debating Championship and... I think I might be joining as well (=

But please be gentle...

...for I’m a VIRGIN DEBATER =D

2 comments: