Small Talk: Where's the team who beat Inter Milan 2-0??? )=
This is a backdated post. Entry was posted on March 30th, '09
A.K.A the Gombak Open, was organised by International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) or more Malaysianly, the Universiti Islam Antarabangsa (UIA).

The two-day British Parliamentary style debate was short but fun. At first we were the latest contingent to reach IIUM because we had transportation problem. Half of us ended up taking a cab, driven by a stupid fler who won't turn on the bloody air-conditioner because he said it's cold in the morning and he'll fall asleep if he drives in cool and comfortable condition. And what's worse??
He friggin' didn't know the roads in Kajang and was expecting me to direct him OMFG AKU ANOK GANU WEH!! How am I supposed to know the way in Kajang town??
That driver would've driven me crazy in addition to driving his cab if not because I was all tired and sleepy. Next was we were late for the debate tournament and everyone, eeeeeveryone was waiting of us. And to add insult to injury, they even gave us an ovation when we stepped into the briefing hall. We just smiled our way to our seats.
It was my very first time debating in BP style/format. Previously I've only done Asian Parliamentary style so I didn't even have half the idea of how BP format works but I just hit it. In fact, I didn't know it was BP style debate until we were in the car heading to IIUM. Lucky me, I had a great partner. Girls must've been jealous of me because I was in a team with Fareez the handsome guy from UiTM Shah Alam.

Handsome Fareez, footsome Stevie
The whole preliminary stage went quite well after the first round, which I screwed up big time. And it was super embarrassing. I could see disappointment in Fareez' face but I suppose I did improve in the following rounds. First round we were 4th (aka last place) out of four teams whilst in the second and forth round, we managed to secure the second place. Hmm.. What about third round, you ask?? Hehe......
We got the FIRST in the third round! Thank you thank you!! But then it's just a tiny round so.. let's just move on. I was not really on top of the world (only on top of Fraser's Hill) but I was glad we did improve since the first round. I mean, I did improve a little, at least. Anyway, we didn't break into finals stage so yeah, that's all.

Ain, Steven, Tasha
But there's a good news in the end of the day after all - there were eight teams who managed to break into the finals stage and Fareez and I were actually at the ninth place. Only if I didn't screw up in the first round, then we might have the chance to break into finals stage.
There I got to know Suraya's current classmate at UiTM (err, we were schoolmates during high school), Ain and guess what?? I met my old schoolmate there too!

Iyllyana. Remember her?? Our ex-headgirl? OK, now you know ;)
I was surprised when she suddenly popped up and said "ha! you're late!" when we just arrived at IIUM and were proceeding into the briefing hall. I was nevertheless glad to meet someone whom I know there (=
Overall, it was fun (as always) and at least I got to learn a little bit more about debating in BP style. The grand final was super funny you can't not watch it! lol. And oh, I was supposed to write about the place we stayed (Daniel's place) because his place was just marvellous. LCD TV, pool, Wi-fi, massaging chair, you name it. It's like everything's there.
Sad thing was that.. Man United lost 1-4 to the Scousers that night =.=
haha.
ReplyDeleteyeah, glad to meet u too. :)