My blog has moved to an awesome new home!

You should be automatically redirected shortly. Please click here if the magic didn't happen.

Sunday, 8 June 2008

CHWS Teacher's Day Celebration

It was a huge one, although the hall isn't.




I was in fact late for the whole celebration event as I was only thinking of attending the so called concert. I found out that I have actually missed quite number of shows, including the 24 Season's Drum and silat performances only when I got the photos from Carrie.




And they actually performed lion dance to welcome the VIPs.




Likewise, I missed a choir performed by a group of CHWS teachers and dikir barat performance by a group of Malay students.





From what I see from the image, I wonder why there wasn't any Chinese or Indian flers in the dikir barat team? You know, we had dikir barat performances almost every time there was an event or occasion back in National Service.



And I was one of the regular participants. I'm a Chinese, mind you. I think the non-Malays should join in as well. It's not harmful, aren't they?


Before the concert started, the organising committee, which consisted Form 6 students, organised a short but interesting tele-match for the teachers.

They even came out with a game derived from one of the National Service's Character Building modules' activity - building a plane using no glues, no scissors, no threads, no nothing, just newspapers.





And the teachers weren't very stupid less-smart after all.


Darn, I really missed plenty of shows. I regret the most for missing the poem reciting performance.




You know why? The reciters were four pretty girls, said Carrie. But then they don't look any prettier than Madonna in the image to me. Or maybe they are just not as photogenic as Malaysian Dreamgirls.

And their clothes. They will certainly look fabulous in those clothes only if they are attending a birthday party, but not when they're on the stage as poem reciters.


Moving on to the tiny hall, where the loud speakers almost brought the hall down throughout the celebration concert.

Saying that it is a Teacher's Day celebration makes me feel stupid.





You don't need electric guitars and drum set to sing a Thank-You-I-Love-You-Teachers song, do you?


They totally turned a Teacher's Day celebration day to their replication of the Hillsong United concert. Only they didn't perform worshipping songs like Hillsong United does.




They even hired a music management company to rock the hall. I thought they really wanna bring down the hall so that they can make full use of their soon-to-complete new hall.


Hell. They must be goddamn gratitude towards their teachers.




I must praise the performers. They really had the courage to stand up to thank their teachers. Or maybe they were just using the chance to show off their talent?



Anyway, the audience was kind enough to show their support by giving applauses to the performers although some were total nonsense.

The almost three-hour performances in the decades old hall was filled with some fairly interesting performances, some hot girls playing violin, some kickass live band, some sick arses with their lousy singing trying to bring down the house as well as the exaggerative fire effects that almost killed a performer.

However, it was entertaining enough as a lunch appetiser for me.


The most remarkable performance wasn't the live band which closed the curtain for the so called concert, which many would think it was the only performance that almost got the stage collapsed.




Personally, I think the performance of the combination of Chinese orchestra and modern violin was awesome, though it was not a kickass one.

Like I mentioned, there were some hot pretty girls playing the violin as well as traditional Chinese music instruments. Forgive me for not mentioning the male violinist.

That simply shows and proofs that I'm normal.





The school's choir team's performance was good too. It was so good that I actually enjoyed their singing so much, I forgot what songs they sang. Some Twinkle-Twinkle-Little-Star-type songs I suppose.


The celebration day ended with a live band performance by the school's official band. Is it an official band? I don't know that.




The band's performance was made kickass when the smoke effect came out of nowhere which eventually drew an enormous applause from the crowd of viewers.

The band - which consisted 18-year-old guitarist, Jeffery, 15-year-old drummer, Caleb, a bassist and lastly the lead singer - had four attempts to crumple the hall that still has Mr Idris Jusoh's photo hanging above the stage.




Good thing YB Dato' Ahmad Said wasn't in the VIP guest list.


They performed three songs (Can't Take My Eyes Off You; Itu Kamu; I Don't Love You) before being encored by the audiences. And guess what? The lead singer decided to repeat the second song he performed as to fulfil the encore request...

...which I personally think that it was a bad choice.




They had fire effect, smoke effect and ribbon-snowing effect. And when smoke and ribbon-snowing effect occurs, you'll get something like this.




Now I know why they've had the music management there.


Well, maybe I should have brought along some tear gas grenades just in case the fire-ribbon-smoke effects combination wouldn't work. At least I can make it a memorable Teacher's Day.







Nah, just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment