My blog has moved to an awesome new home!

You should be automatically redirected shortly. Please click here if the magic didn't happen.

Saturday, 2 August 2008

SiteMeter Causes "Operation Aborted" Error On Internet Explorer



Small Talk: What actually happened to me last Thursday was: badminton after school, football game after badminton and slept at 4am after everything.

That's not it. I played futsal after a day off on Friday. And do you think that I really had my rest?




Note: Update on its solution has been added at the bottom of this post.

I've been a SiteMeter user since I started blogging on Blogspot platform and I enjoy watching my blog stats go up and down throughout the days.



Everything was fine through the years until Christina told me that my blog isn't accessible using Internet Explorer. Something must be wrong, I thought. Then I tried viewing my blog using IE and yes, there's a problem:




So I googled for solutions but end up with some not very helpful ones. Not to say that they're not, it's just they're different from my case.

I even started a thread asking for assistance at Lowyat.net but things just wouldn't work out that easily.

Anyway, I had better luck later in the day when I finally found out the truth about the error. IE isn't the actual culprit, in this case, it's SiteMeter.

Apparently, the popular web statistics service's javascript codes will crash visitors of any sites using SiteMeter (and they have yet to issue a notice on that!) That applies only to Internet Explorer 5.5, 6 or 7 users. So, Firefox users, you're safe to surf.

How To Overcome This Issue?

Alright, you can't tweak IE for this so the only way to curb this problem will be removing the SiteMeter codes. If you're the webmaster/blogmaster, I suppose you'll know which codes to remove.

The bad news is that your site will not be tracked once the codes are removed. See? There really are two sides for everything. So, just bear with it.

Alternatives? Hmm.. Maybe you can send many emails to SiteMeter complaining the issue like us complaining about the lousy broadband connection speed of Streamyx.

Don't even think that I'm serious about that.

Now, I'm not gonna remove my SiteMeter codes. What about you?
Okay, I changed my mind since many visitors of mine are IE users. I'm removing the codes now until the issue is resolved.

Damn, I'm so gonna miss my stats.

***LATEST UPDATE***

Yes, there is an alternative to the curb this SiteMeter codes problem.

If you're a Blogger user, copy and paste the SiteMeter codes into the HTML codes (of your blog. Go Edit HTML page.), just before the </body> tag. And save it and SiteMeter tracker will be up and running again.

Your SiteMeter image will appear at the bottom most of your blog/site (like mine). Make sure you remove the old codes you placed in the widget as well.

Let's hope SiteMeter will settle this problem once and for all soon.

Special thanks to the reference frame.

*** LATEST UPDATE #2 ***

Looks like SiteMeter has fixed the bug in their code. No more aborted operation in IE and now everyone's happy ;)

2 comments:

  1. I just moved the Sitemeter to a different place. See many more recipes here (click!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am orried because I am using Sitemeter as well....

    ReplyDelete