Faris was a good friend of mine. We met and knew each other during the two-and-a-half-month National Service training. He was the Wira Commandant (4 balak, highest position among trainees) back then.
Faris was one handsome guy. He was not very tall, but not very short as well. He loved joking around and he didn’t really act like a head of trainees – he was more like a good friend. He was really easy to approach. He was in Delta while I was Bravo’s Wira Muda (single balak) so we didn’t get to know each other until we started to work together since we were the bigger people with positions.
As time passed by, I got to know him more. He was a Malay guy, but he had a little Chinese mindset, seriously. But I’m not gonna disclose what does ‘Chinese mindset’ means here. We spent quite some time together in camp. Since we were counted as the trainees’ leaders, we often work together to like..chased the trainees to classes or gatherings, especially when it was running outta time. We checked the dorms to make sure that the dorms were already empty and sometimes we took the chance to be late for the gathering (coz gathering for ceramah is sometimes very boring you know).
We even ponteng to bilik rehat to read newspaper during the AIDS campaign period, seriously, no kidding. It was fun. Haha. He looked serious as a Wira Commandant but still he was kinda cheeky at times. During the Wira Jaya program, I suggested to him to sleep at the medic tent because the place was more comfortable. And yes, we did, only two of us. Haha.. It was kinda bad of us but we didn’t wanna sleep in our tent. And sleeping under the medic tent was really…satisfying.
He liked to fool people sometimes, no, I mean, all the time. Haha… There was once when he was sitting beside me, then suddenly he acted like there’s an emergency, he asked me to pull his finger and he was like “faster faster..pull pull!”.. like getting cramp or something. And when I pulled his finger… Guess what?
............…………..………..
He farted out LOUD! Haha… He really got me there.
This might be a boring post for you. But to me it’s something memorable.
Mohd. Faris Ikhwan was his full name. I received a SMS from a friend today, telling a bad, bad news about him. Something bad happened.
Faris was involved in an accident yesterday afternoon - a very bad accident. And he left us.
Faris left us. He passed away, just for that accident.
Because of that accident, a young man’s life is lost. I just couldn’t believe it. The last time I saw him was 11th of March, 2008 – the last day of our National Service training. I thought we’d have a chance to go out together, maybe to KLCC or some shopping centre, together with his girlfriend and some NS friends, to have a good time together… But now, everything’s over for him.
I’m not gonna forget Faris. He had been a good friend, a good leader for both his Delta squad and the trainees of Merang Suria Holiday Camp Kump1 Siri 5/2008. I shall treasure our memories as long as possible although it was short, it’s not temporary.

I will miss you Faris.
Rest In Peace.
To my other friends – who’re also Faris’ friends, who’re also from MSHC – let’s not cry. We shall be proud of what Faris was and pray for him and may him R.I.P. I believe many others are gonna miss him as much as I do.
Friends, if you're kind enough to show that you care and you will never forget Faris, do as what I'm doing now - post "Faris... never to be forgotten..." on your Friendster, MySpace, Facebook or even your weblog. Circulate among the MSHC ex-trainees (our batch). We're all in this together.
No comments:
Post a Comment